Episode two of ‘What is Roleplay?!
This episode we are joined by CJ Eggett to discuss DEATH!!!
- How the threat of death or overcoming death is the driving force in most roleplay games.
- How loss, madness and other missing pieces are analogues for death
- Some more terms you’ll need to know, like Railroading (Being forced down a particular narrative path) and OSR (Old School Revival, a resurrence in simpler, more traditional Roleplay)
- Damage in Dungeons & Dragons, and alternative ways of handling that in Tunnel Goons.
- CJ’s obsession with weird puppet magic monsters in The Dark Crystal.
We end, as usual, with some live “actual play” to demonstrate the concepts we’ve discussed.
Today’s adventure involves death, a eulogy, and a player character not going to university…
Links to things we discussed:
- Beyond Cataclysm – beyondcataclysm.co.uk
- Artefact by Mousehole Press
- A Set Of Scrubs by CM Lowry
- Call of Cthulhu from Chaosium Inc.
- Tunnel Goons by Nate Treme
- MÖRK BORG from Ockult Örtmästare Games and Stockholm Kartell
- The Dark Crystal Adventure Game from River Horse
- Tyrannosaur Inside – by CM Lowry