Topics covered include:
- Bruce Chatwin’s use of flippant anecdotes, quotes and stories to explore deeper themes
- The broken nature of this book and how the small pieces make up his greater thesis on life – that you need to be moving and discovering things in life; that our problems stem from a lack of this.
- The need to return to big ideas as a society – that philosophy and ethics are not just things to neatly package into a box and leave on a shelf.
- Travel as a hopeful antidote to the harms of life.
- Wider themes of roleplaying and identity; combining inspirations along your our personal journey
Links to things we discussed:
- Professor Elemental’s Garden of Escapades
- Escape from Elemental Manor
- The Songlines by Bruce Chatwin
- Zen and the art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Roger M. Pirsig
- Through Painted Deserts by Donald Miller
- The Wisdom of Stability by Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove
- Troika by Melsonian Arts Council
- Operation S.A.N.T.A. by CM Lowry
- Dictionary of the Khazars by Milorad Pavić
- Civilisations by Laurent Binet
Music by CM Lowry. Editing by Dave Emmerson