Welcome to Episode 11 of ‘What Is Roleplay?!
This episode we are joined by Guilherme Gontijo to discuss Design
- How design is very similar across the board, and how the differences often just come down to execution?
- Why does design matter?
- It is more than just style or a taste aesthetic
- Design is more about translating ideas on the abstract plane into visuals
- Good design helps roleplay games (RPG) creators to communicate the ideas, mood and feel of a game visually
- You can fit a whole lot of fun into a small amount of space with good design
- The DIY ethos and how the punk spirit has influenced the Indie RPG scene
- Funding the beauty in both minimalist as well as heavily illustrated RPGs such as MÖRK BORG
- The major importance of remaining faithful to ideas – starting at the essence of the idea and allowing it to inform the design. Making an alliance with the idea and not allowing outside influences to change it & allowing open ended questions to remain.
- Italian ‘Giallo‘ horror movies and their influence on Gontijo’s game Blurred Lines
- Listen as CM Lowry & Gontijo live design a new game where monks fall into temptation to one of the seven deadly sins and end up in a sepia hell where everyone is in perpetual motion. The working title? ‘No Rest for the Wicked!’
Links to things we discussed:
Books, Authors & Publishers:
More about Guilherme
More about Us
- CM Lowry on Twitter – @cmlowryauthor
- CM Lowry’s website – All About Chris
- Website – beyondcataclysm.co.uk
- Patreon – Patreon.com/beyondcataclysm